Thursday, March 18, 2010

Yum-Yum Pie

Thursday - March 18, 2010

I came across the recipe I am going to post this week and it took me back in time! I had graduated from high school, was a student at Marshall living at home (one of the luxuries of living in a college town), and along with other family members helping with my grandmother - my father's mother. I remember us having a lot of company because relatives were coming to our house to visit with Mammaw.

My cousin Donetta was at the house a lot. She would come by and would help Mom and me make desserts to have on hand. One of her favorites to help us make was called Yum-Yum Pie. I don't remember where we got the recipe, but I do remember we made it a lot!!! It was easy to make and we could change the taste by using different pie fillings - cherry, blueberry, apple, peach, etc.
Donetta and me - 1970

Yum-Yum Pie

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups Graham Cracker crumbs
  • 1 8oz pkg cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 stick butter (melted)
  • Cool Whip
  • 1 can Cherry Pie Filling (or a pie filling of your choice)

Procedure:

  • Combine 2 cups Graham Cracker crumbs, 1 stick butter(melted), and 1/2 cup sugar
  • put half of mixture on bottom of pan ( we used a cake pan)
  • The other half is reserved for the top
  • Beat cream cheese, 3/4 cup of sugar, and Cool Whip together.
  • Take half of cream cheese mixture and spread on top of crumbs.
  • Next layer - spread pie filling on top of cream cheese mixture.
  • Add remaining cream cheese mixture
  • Last - spread balance of crumbs on top
  • Chill
  • Eat and enjoy!!!!

This post is in memory of Donetta!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. This is very similar to a dessert my Aunt Cathy makes, only hers has instant pudding with the cool whip, and maybe no cream cheese? It's so yummy!!!!! AND so easy to make!!!

    ReplyDelete