Saturday, June 5, 2010

Tropical Chicken Salad

Saturday - June 5, 2010

This past week has given me a jolt. I have battled high blood pressure for many years as well as anxiety. The doctor has finally gotten the right mixture of BP meds to get my pressure out of the 180/90 range to the 120/70 range. Wow - I thought things were starting to look up!!! Then the dreaded blood work came back - all was okay except for my sugar level! I'm not sure when it went out of whack!!! (But I shouldn't have been too surprised since sugar does run in the family!) Since realizing that my sugar was elevated I have taken my sugar test daily - the range has been from 201 - 424!! Yep - that's extremely high!! I have been to the doctor twice within a week!!! I am now on glucophage. I am to start out with one pill daily and work myself up to four a day - unless I have the dreaded side effects!!!! I worry about Bill's levels because he does love sweets!!! He is on four glyburides a day. His sugar level was okay!
I started browsing the cookbooks and the web for some recipes that sounded sumptuous as well as easy! :)

The recipe I am posting is from the Betty Crocker web site and sounded good for a light meal at lunch. Hope it sounds good to you as well!!




Tropical Chicken Salad

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
2 tablespoons blackened seasoning blend
1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
1 bag (5 oz) mixed baby salad greens (4 cups)
1 medium mango, peeled, pitted and diced (1 cup)
1/2 medium red onion, sliced (3/4 cup)
1 small red bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
2/3 cup raspberry vinaigrette


1. Place chicken in heavy-duty resealable food-storage plastic bag. Sprinkle seasoning blend over chicken; seal bag and shake until chicken is evenly coated.
2. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 7 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink in center. Remove chicken from skillet; drain on paper towels.
3. In large bowl, toss salad greens, mango, onion and bell pepper; divide among 4 plates. Top with chicken. Drizzle with vinaigrette.

Health Twist Loaded with mango and bell pepper, this salad is a tasty source of vitamins A and C. Vitamin A is vital for proper eyesight and healthy hair and skin; vitamin C helps promote healthy gums, blood vessels, bones and teeth.
Serve-With Add a crusty roll and a glass of milk for a total of 3 Carbohydrate Choices. If your meal plan allows, select a small cookie for dessert.
Do-Ahead Cook and drain the chicken, and chop the mango and veggies up to one day before serving. Then cover and refrigerate until you're ready to assemble the salad.

Nutrition Information:
1 Serving: Calories 270 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 1 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 70mg; Sodium 440mg; Total Carbohydrate 25g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 14g); Protein 26g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 70%; Vitamin C 80%; Calcium 6%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Very Lean Meat; 1 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment