Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Saying Sorry

Wednesday - April 7, 2010

Have you ever thought about how many times you've said "I'm sorry" in the last week, month, or year? What prompted you to say those words?? Did you really mean them or were they the words you felt needed to be said???

Many times during my teaching career I witnessed students saying "sorry," but realized it was only words to them. It was a way of getting out of trouble - or so they thought!!! As a very young child I remember many times my brothers and I (well maybe my twin and I) would do something and we would tell Mom we were sorry. Was I really, or was it a ploy for me to get out of trouble? Hmmmmm - at the time I think it was a way to get out of trouble, but I was also truly sorry about what I had done - maybe because we got caught! I think that's typical with most kids!

When you say sorry - do you really mean it, or are they words you feel obligated to say? Had you thought ahead, would you have done, said, or not done the deed that prompted you to say those words? Why do we say or do things that we know will hurt someone and then expect those magical words take away the hurt??? Sometimes the hurt is too deep and it will take a little time to let that hurt heal!

The quote from Love Story - "Love never means you have to say sorry" has been quoted many times. I really don't think we should take the quote literally. Even with the ones we love, albeit a hard love, we may do or say things that hurt, but in the long run we pray it will be for the betterment of that person!

For those women, or men in some cases, who have an abusive spouse, friend, or family member - do they really mean they are sorry for what they've done to you?? Many times it is a way of getting you back. They want complete control. When will you realize you have had enough???

To those people who voice their opinions - whether asked or not - knowingly they will upset and hurt some one's feelings, do you ever stop and think before you speak? Many times I have heard some of these people say I am just being honest. This may be true, but did you really have to say what you said at that particular moment? Being honest or truthful are fine traits, but when do you really need to voice these comments. To say something you know will intentionally hurt someone just because you can is not good. I have worked with many people who did this not only to the kids, but the adults as well. Was anything ever accomplished because of this "honesty?"

I am a person who carries her feelings on her shoulder - always have and probably always will. Even when teasing by loved ones gets out of hand, yes my feeling are hurt and the tears start flowing! I know they don't mean to "hurt" me, but it still happens! The "sorries" are said and all is well - but the hurt is still there for a short time!

A friend of mine and I were talking on the Internet last night -we both want to help others fix their problems - even those who have a tendency to be "mean and hateful." Why do we do this? This is just our personalities - friend or foe - we try to make the world a better place for everyone. Doesn't God want us to shower everyone with love and understanding and to show them the way all Christians should be?

I try so hard to please all I love; to make their life a little better; and many times I have no idea if they even care! I'm sure they do - they just don't what to say or do. Many people have tunnel vision and only see what they want to see or feel. We can't take care of all the problems, but we can pray for all of those who need it!

When Bill and I first got married, we made it a promise never to go to bed mad/upset. If anyone does, tomorrow might be too late to say "I'm sorry!"

You might wonder what has prompted me to write this blog! The last two weeks I have noticed how many "young" people have passed away. Some due to extended illnesses, others suddenly with no apparent known cause! Most were good Christian people who were living their life according to God's will. I have read comments written to many of the family and friends of these young people, and the words "I'm so sorry" has been said hundreds of times. Those who wrote the words, I am sure, truly meant them, I am sure they will give comfort to the families.

There are so many young people out there right now who have been hit with the realization that tomorrow may never come for those they know and love. Always let those you love know they are loved! You may never get another chance to say that in this world! Never leave yourself in a position where you need to say I'm sorry, and never actually say it! Sometimes these situations can fester just like a sore - don't let that happen! Life can be too short for some!

The viewing tonight of one of these young persons will have so many young people there. "I'm sorry" will be said so many times with each person saying it really meaning it! The family will be comforted in knowing their loved one was loved and will be truly missed. These young people are sorry also in that they will not have another chance to talk with their sweet departed friend. Life as they knew it will never be the same.

May God be with them all - family and friends - and comfort them as they accept the loss of a loved one.

No comments:

Post a Comment